On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, The Shaws wrote:

> Actually, the "old" UK length system is a curious mixture of decimal and
> non-decimal
>
> Start with a mile
> Take half = half a mile = 880 yards
> Take half = a quarter mile = 440 yards
> Take half = 1 furlong = 220 yards

Then, here is where horse racing enters!
Other than a rare short (sprint) race at half-furlong (4.5 or 5.5)
distances, all are in increments of furlongs. Except for 1-mile, 70 yards!

> By the way Frank - the fuel companies here changed to litres in the hope
> that we wouldn't figure out just how much a gallon costs.  75p per litre =
> ?3.41 per gallon, well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
> Work that price out in dollars per gallon - I couldn't believe how cheap
> fuel was in the USA.
>
> Mike

Try Russia:  Not only do they have 5 (and somtimes more) grades at the
pump, up to 110 Octane (unheard of in the US since the 60's, except for
boats and aircraft), but a typical upper-middle grade, maybe 90 Octane,
sells for around 6 Rubles, about $0.23/14 pence, per litre!

When you consider that the Russian State is in NO economic condition to
subsidize consumer fuel prices, I have to think *we* are getting shafted!

Dave