Peter Tandy wrote:

> Americans should be warned. If you 'go
> metric' as Britain has been forced to do it will seem a very strange world
> for those not brought up to it from an early age. What the hell is a litre
> of petrol?? Mercifully though, I can still get a pint of beer, and with
> that I know my limitation. Long may it continue.

This metric versus imperial or american measurements will never end.
It certainly has more to do with how you were "brought up"
than with any easiness of use or practicality.

I was brought up with the metric system. At least at school
that's what I learned. Customary measures were not even tought.

Now, my grandparents would always use the customary system.
My father would use a mix. My mother was "metric-minded".

One of my grandfathers was a blue collar work in a railroad
built by the British. That means that when he was talking
about his tools, nuts and bolts he would use the British system.

Maybe I was in a very unique position to learn several systems
at once.

Now, either I was too lazy or the British and Brazilian customary
systems were too much confusing.

The fact is that as kid (without knowing anything about politics
or imperialism) I rejected both the British and the Brazilian
system. It did not seem I would ever learn how to express
something in yards, feet, inchs and fractions of inches.

To me putting a comma somewhere (we use the decimal
comma, not the decimal point) seemed much easier than
finding the proper unit that would come next.

There was one  more problem: many measures we quite
unique in the sense that what they represented could change
from state to state, town to town or even person to person.

One "league", for instance, could mean either 6 km or 6.6 km.
Now I know (I did not know then) that a league may also
represent 3 statute mile (4.8 km).

Now, 1 alqueire (land measure) had its fractions expressed
in liters! Oh boy, only I know how my little head was confused:
learning at school that liters were used to measure volume,
now they were using it to measure surface!

Eventually I was to learn that 1 alqueire = 48 liters. And reason
was quite simple and straightforward: 1 alqueire was the land
that would consume 48 liters of bean seed.

Of course, beans have different sizes; some people like
sowing close together, other like sowing far apart. So it is easy
to see why the "alqueire" was quite elastic.

There were other ways to measure the "alqueire". Eventually
it was boiled down to *only* for: "alqueire de sesmaria",
"alqueire paulista", "alqueiro goiano"  and "alqueiro mineiro".

Any doubt why I attached myself firmly to the metric system?

Even if you love the American Customary System, do your
kids a favour: teach them the metric system. So, in the future
I'll be able to drink 0.5 l or 500 ml of bear instead of
a pint. I can't believe drinking a pint can be as refreshing and
awarding as half a liter :-)

- fernando

--
Fernando Cabral                         Padrao iX Sistemas Abertos
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.pix.com.br