David,

I calculated a week ago a sundial of 7 m x 4 m on a cilindric part of the façade
of a new building in Brussels at a heigth of 15 m. One has to stand at the other
side of the avenue to see the shadow of a ball indicating the hour on the
façade.

Your 'simple' solution is here not suitable.

Willy Leenders
Flanders, Belgium