From: Ken Baldwin <kenneth.bald...@gmail.com>
Subject: equation of time sundial
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Date: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 1:02 PM

Hello,

I'm a new list member, and have a beginner question:

Are there examples of sundials whose sole (or primary) purpose is to compute
the Equation of Time for the current date?

- I know that this information is often provided as a graph in the furniture,
but why should I have to know the date and perform the look-up manually? Can't
I use the position of the sun to do the computation for me?

- I know that the EOT correction can be incorporated into the layout of (some)
hour lines, but I'm more interested in having dials which show true solar time.
I'd like a separate device dedicated to computing the EOT.

- I know that I can construct an analemmic noon mark to show the EOT for that
day, since it's simply the east-west component of the analemma, but I'd like a
design that can be read at any daylight hour.

It seems to me that it should be possible to build such a dial, since the EOT
is a function of date, and date lines can be read from many sundials. In
principle, I can just re-label the date lines with corresponding EOT values and
interpolate.

I hope that makes sense. But since I haven't seen anything like that in
introductory sundial books, I must be missing something... Is it that the
shadow length can't be read accurately enough to get a reasonably precise EOT
estimate? Or is it just too hard to make a readable layout, given that solar
altitude is ambiguous between two dates, and that the component of the EOT due
to the eccentricity of the earth's orbit is out of phase with the equinoxes and
solstices?

Thanks in advance,
Ken Baldwin

Corvallis, OR USA