Thanks, everyone.

I see now how an analemmic gnomon can be used to read the EOT, if the
equatorial band shows both mean and apparent time and you do the
subtraction in your head. I'm most interested, though, in something which
allows a direct reading of EOT...

Mike, your solution sounds very interesting, but I confess I don't really
understand it :-) I take it the motor is to keep the hole pointed toward
the sun. Presumably this could be done manually, as on a shepard's dial?
I'm unclear though on what's drawn inside. Is it a single curve of EOT as a
function of declination, or a family of curves?

Ken