From: Ken Baldwin
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 2:19 PM
To: peter.ma...@adelaide.edu.au
Cc: sundial
Subject: Re: equation of time sundial

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses.

I'm not trying to read the EOT-adjusted time from the device, I want to read
the actual EOT value itself for that date. For example, on Aug 9th, at any
daylight hour, I'd like to be able to read, say, -5.5 min. Maybe I'm
misunderstanding, but do I get that from these analemmic gnomons or hour lines?

I'm suggesting something like Peter's design, but with the hour lines removed,
and the date lines labelled with the EOT value (-15 min -> 15 min).

I understand Simon's point that the altitude of the sun is ambiguous between
two dates, so perhaps it would have to be split into two plates (like
half-analemmas). Of course, this requires the user to know which 6 month period
of the year they are in, which partially defeats the purpose of not needing to
know the date :-)

Ken