I have been told of another method called what3words.com
<http://what3words.com/>

Designed in 2013 and developed since then, it uses a grid of the world made up
of 57 trillion squares of 3 metres by 3 metres. Each square has been given a
3-word address. what3words has named the 17 trillion squares on land with 3
words in 10 other languages in addition to English. Of potential value to less
developed countries.  My contact says:  "A very good idea I think as it is
easier than numbers and covers the whole globe (dependent of course on the w3w
database continuing to exist, which let's hope it does) to give e.g. addresses
in African shanty towns or remote villages in India as well as where there are
postcodes."

An intriguing system, based on the fact that three words, however unrelated,
are rather more memorable than a latitude/longitude. Typing Greenwich
Observatory comes up with oval.blast.improving. My house has a similar unique
set of words.

Well worth a look.

Doug