From: sundial [mailto:sundial-boun...@uni-koeln.de] On Behalf Of Ian
Maddocks
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2016 4:07 PM
To: sundial@uni-koeln.de
Subject: Quick Sundial Quiz - What's the matter with this dial? (Tower
Bridge Equatorial)

hi folks

Here's your quick Christmas quiz - what is wrong with the sundial in the
middle of the attached screengrab from Instagram #sundial?

It's the famous equatorial dial near Tower Bridge in London....

Answer below.....

The answer is that it's NOT actually the famous equatorial in London by
Wendy Taylor but a copy in Shanghai, China.

I regularly trawl through Instagram #sundial
(https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/sundial/)  looking for new dials we
haven't recorded in the BSS Register.   Back in September I saw the dial as
you see it in the screen grab.  "It's the dial by Tower Bridge", I thought,
"been there, seen that" but something about the photo processing ("nice"
HDR, ie not over-done to my tastes) made me click through.   "But hang on
those aren't the warehouses on the south side of the Thames , they're
skyscrapers, it's tagged Shanghai !"   To see the original posting click
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ7UULOjxhs/?taken-by=gwctoo  , though I
originally saw it 3 hours after it was posted when there were no comments.

I contacted Wendy Taylor via her website who confirmed it wasn't an official
copy.  I managed to find its location and she started to work out what could
be done about it.

Although they don't have StreetView in China there are some privately
uploaded photospheres on Google Maps.    The dial can be seen on the banks
of the Huangpu River in the following photosphere (yes it's all one link)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@31.2289389,121.5018597,3a,75.1y,125.54h,87.11
t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-3srhU91AL7E%2FV0MHA9iTjeI%2FAAAAAAAADDY%2FpbHLMS1yqpA
ywGmRoyiLM5U87B5eLItmACLIB!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2F-3sr
hU91AL7E%2FV0MHA9iTjeI%2FAAAAAAAADDY%2FpbHLMS1yqpAywGmRoyiLM5U87B5eLItmACLIB
%2Fw203-h101-n-k-no%2F!7i8704!8i4352

Anyway I had forgotten about all it this but Wendy has just been in touch
with the end to the story....   At the end of November the story was run in
The Independent UK newspaper.    Second British artist accuses China of
copying work after statue 'identical' to London sculpture spotted in
Shanghai :
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/china-copies-sculpture-b
ritish-wendy-taylor-timepiece-tower-bridge-london-shanghai-anish-kapoor-a744
1076.html    then just four days later   Chinese authorities destroy
Shanghai sculpture exposed as copy of British artist's iconic London work :
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/china-copy-art-sculpture
-shanghai-london-wendy-taylor-timepiece-tower-bridge-sundial-destroyed-a7448
326.html        It also was mentioned in the Shanghai Daily ‘Wonderful news’
for UK sculptor
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/metro/society/Wonderful-news-for-UK-sculptor/sh
daily.shtml    and has been picked up by other media , see
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=wendy+taylor+shanghai+sundial

Wishing you all a Happy New Year

Ian Maddocks

Chester, UK