On 16/10/2016 16:58, Douglas Bateman wrote:
I have been told of another method called what3words.com <http://what3words.com>

Designed in 2013 and developed since then, it uses a grid of the world made up of 57 trillion squares of 3 metres by 3 metres. Each square has been given a 3-word address. what3words has named the 17 trillion squares on land with 3 words in 10 other languages in addition to English. Of potential value to less developed countries. My contact says: "A very good idea I think as it is easier than numbers and covers the whole globe (dependent of course on the w3w database continuing to exist, which let's hope it does) to give e.g. addresses in African shanty towns or remote villages in India as well as where there are postcodes."

An intriguing system, based on the fact that three words, however unrelated, are rather more memorable than a latitude/longitude. Typing Greenwich Observatory comes up with oval.blast.improving. My house has a similar unique set of words.

Well worth a look.

Doug

I'm at obscuring.words.serious.

Richard Mallett