On 12/19/2008 12:19 PM, Jens Hatlak wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> I just received an E-Mail (typical forwarded message about Kennedy and
>> Lincoln similarities...)that has large text and Photographs intermingled.
>> I tried to highlight it all and ctrl-C it and paste it (ctrl-V) into
>> WORD, but the photos didn't carry over.
> Yes, when you copy text and images from mails unfortunately the images
> are not converted. I just check with SM 1.1.x and a recent SM 2 nightly
> and compared the results to copying just an image. With the Clipboard
> Viewer from [1] you can see in both cases a text/html part that contains
> an SM-internal reference to the copied image (e.g. starting with
> imap://). Of course that reference has no meaning outside SM. Copying to
> OpenOffice Writer instead of Word even shows that reference. The
> difference between copying text + image and just an image is that when
> you copy just an image you'll also get a CF_DIB and a CF_BITMAP part on
> the clipboard, both of which show the actual image. Unfortunately Word
> and OpenOffice Writer are not intelligent enough to detect that and fail
> to insert the image again.

Hmmm... I wonder is that is the case; OpenOffice inserts a link to the
graphic; example:

As you can see the link is to the graphic that is in an email I've
selected and copied to OOo 3.01RC1. Unfortunately, it only displays a
link box rather than the graphic - which I believe can be adjusted by
breaking the link, but can recall how at the moment.

If I cut & paste the exact same link an put it into the SM url bar, the
graphic displays nicely in a SM browser window. So, the link is valid as
far as SM is concerned. However, if I paste the same link into Firefox I
receive a:

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
(mailbox) isn't associated with any program.

OK, so I change 'mailbox:' to 'file:' in Firefox - I now get the
email(s) in the Firefox browser plus the image png code (but not the
image itself):

 filename="Screenshot-Software Sources.png"

Obviously if you do a right-click on an image in the email and select
'Copy Image' you can paste anywhere.

So I wonder if perhaps *SM* is not properly copying _its_ contents to
the clipboard rather than the 'paste-to' application misinterpreting the
content of the paste.