NoOp wrote:
Obviously if you do a right-click on an image in the email and select
'Copy Image' you can paste anywhere.

No, that's what I was trying to say. When you copy something to the clipboard SeaMonkey is actually putting several formats on the clipboard. When you copy text and images SeaMonkey puts no image data on the clipboard, only HTML with internal references to the images. As I said, those references don't mean anything outside SeaMonkey. If you copy just a single image again HTML containing an internal reference is put on the clipboard but additionally the formats CF_DIB and CF_BITMAP. Those contain actual image data and can be read by applications like IrfanView. Word and OpenOffice can probably also read them but since HTML was also put on the clipboard they choose that format and consequently fail to display an image.

So I wonder if perhaps *SM* is not properly copying _its_ contents to
the clipboard rather than the 'paste-to' application misinterpreting the
content of the paste.

Both, in a way. SM is creating image references in HTML that make no sense outside SM (a SM/MailNews bug) and the other applications do not allow to just paste the image data which is also on the clipboard.

HTH

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>