Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
John Doue wrote:
Robert's post "SeaMonkey Project Goals - The Summary/Excerpt" and a recent request for help "BookMarks,,,,, hope this group is better than others" on the FF NG triggered some thoughts I wish to share:

- Den's post of the FF NG requested such a simple information - which had not been answered by respectable members of that NG - that I hesitated answering it, for fearing of missing the obvious and making a fool of myself. I finally did (not make a fool of myself ...), and my answer was exactly what the OP expected. Fact 1

- Robert's post about info gathering with respect to the future of SM. Fact 2

Question 1 - How do we make SM a realistic choice for basic computer users, meaning those who tend to be satisfied with what they get when they buy a machine. Vista and all its BS, unavoidable Explorer.

Question 2- How do we bring this user who made the initial step subscribe to our NG, how do we make him feel at home and what respect do we show for his lack of knowledge.

Question 3 - How do we manage to satisfy basic needs (read, needs from people who just want to get there and who do not care how) while catering to the enthusiast crowd most of us belong to.

I do not claim to have the answers to those questions but keeping them in mind might help show the way.

"A chaos of constant innovation would, I think, be one sure way to frighten away a large percentage of the current SeaMonkey community"

if someone is asking for help, then they must clearly state exactly what they want within that posting. Some postings just go on and on, and I have no idea what they're asking. Some, I ask for clarification. I feel that if you don't clearly state what you want, then the helpers will simply ignore them and just move on. You don't need to write the next novel, but just get to the point of what the problem is.

As for that FF user, he was given the correct instructions in another newsgroup, but he never replied back and made a followup, so he asked in another group stating that other group was useless. It took futher postings from yourself, and some of your mind reading techniques, before you were able to fugure out exactly what he wanted.

Peter,

Thanks for those mind reading techniques of mine! You just discovered a gift I was not aware of having :=)

--
John Doue