On 1/1/2009 4:00 PM, JeffM wrote:
>> JeffM wrote:
>>> Windoze associates the **file extension** with an app.
>>> Michael hit it with "Internet Shortcuts":
>>> Under Windoze, the file extension for these is *.URL.
>>> It is also always **hidden**--even if you un-tick the stupid
>>> **Hide file extensions for known file types**.
>>>
> Michael Gordon wrote:
>> This is true if the application is installed with a Windows Installer.
>>
>> From the description given in the previous post he did not find Safari
>> in the list of installed programs.  This leads me to believe he use a
>> zip file to unpack Safari and is using that way.
>>
>> Sometimes it pays to use the installer.
>
> Here's another old trick that works when other methods fail:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=File-associations+WINFILE.EXE&num=100

In a search of my entire C drive -- specifying the search to include
hidden files and folders and system folders -- no winfile.exe was found.

However, it's not hard to change the default application for opening an
Internet shortcut under Windows.  For Windows XP, do the following:

1.  Open any folder.

2.  On the menu bar, select [Tools > Folder Options].

3.  On the Folder Options window, select the File Types tab.

4.  On the File Types tab, scroll down the "Registered file types"
display until you find Internet Shortcut.  Select that entry.  Select
the Advanced button.

5.  On the Edit File Type window, select "open" under Actions.  Select
the Edit button.

6.  On the "Editing action for type" window, change "Application used to
perform action" to be the application you want, with the complete path
to that application.  Leave the "%1" option, with a space between the
application and the option.  Also, under Use DDE, change Application to
the name of your desired application.

7.  On the "Editing action for type" window, select the OK button.  On
the Edit File Type window, select the OK button.  On the File Types tab,
select the OK button.

Note that installing a new version of a browser might change your
Windows registry and require you to repeat these steps.  When I install
software, I use InCtrl5 to log the installation.  Among other things,
the log shows all registry keys and values that changed.  Using InCtrl5
to log the above steps will allow you to determine which registry keys
and values are involved.  Exporting the keys to a .reg file will allow
you to "fix" the registry merely by merging the .reg file back into your
registry.  I do something like this after updating SeaMonkey to make
Wordpad the default editor for .html and .htm files.

InCtrl5 is by Neil J. Rubenking and available at
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,9882,00.asp>.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>