On 02/17/2009 10:06 AM, Benoit Renard wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> :-) didn't say that the 350Mhz runs fast... just said I have Ubuntu
>> running on one. Xubuntu works better for that machine.
>
> I tried Xubuntu on the same machine. It was still a little slow.
>
>> However, a 500Mhz with 768MB is quite reasonable; yes a little slow
>> (my main system was only 450Mhz for quite some time), but if you're
>> working with that machine now, you're used to waiting a bit anyway.
>
> No. A 500 Mhz machine with Win98 flies. The point is that Ubuntu is not
> an upgrade when it comes to performance.

No, the applications integrated into the OS and designed to work
specifically with the OS flies (no dispute from me there).

However, *SeaMonkey* (which is the object of this thread) should perform
equally well, if not better on Ubuntu. I can't test as I've only
Win2KPro (running on a virtual machine) and higher & I've have to clean
out the garage to find a win98 cd (or floppies).