Ray_Net wrote:
Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:
System is Win98se on a 500Mhz Pentium 3 with ~760Mb of memory.
I just last week updated to from SM 1.0.7 to 1.1.14. and newsreader
performance has degraded abysmally!
Watching the behaviour with the system performance monitor, I notice
that system memory almost invariably gets 100% allocated, even over
allocated, with unused physical memory being depleted down to under
1Mb !!!. Everything slows down to a crawl.
When I connect to a news server, the system goes through a slow
cycle of checking each of the subscribed news groups for new messages.
For newsgroups.bellsouth.net. this is done in very bursty mode. i.e.
check 2-5 groups pause, with the pauses sometimes being 10-15 sec long
and even longer. In the meantime the system stops reacting to any
commands, such as to switch windows/processes.
When I switch newsgroups cpu goes 100% busy sometimes for several
minutes and the disk drive light sometimes goes wild.

(By the way, I have! shut off! Java in my profile as per a report by
MR Zeitz that setting Java on will kill newsreader performance. See
Re: Enabling Java makes mail and news sluggish,  posted on 2/2/2009
in the news group netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey)

Return to SM 1.0.7 ....

Thank you very much for the progressive 'tongue in cheek' advice.
Well soon the SMs I can use will be completely dead end anyways,
since the 2.x versions won't work with WIN98.