NoOp wrote:
On 02/14/2009 01:16 AM, Stéphane Grégoire wrote:
Hi,
Rostyslaw Lewyckyj a tapoté, le 14.02.2009 02:43:
Thank you very much for the progressive 'tongue in cheek' advice.
Well soon the SMs I can use will be completely dead end anyways,
since the 2.x versions won't work with WIN98.
May you can try a Linux Live CD, you have a lot of memory it may work fine ; Win 98 is a little bit old.

<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download>

Stéphane

Should work just fine - I've run on much slower machines (I actually
have a 350Mhz laptop running w/Ubuntu 8.04). But with a machine that old
I'd recommend using 8.04 rather than 8.10. 8.10 is fine for most, but
8.04 is a bit more stable on older systems (IMO). I'd also recommend to
download and install from the Alternate CD:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/

Use the LiveCD to to test without affecting your system, but some users
have experienced install issues with liveCD's. I've yet to have an
install issue with the Alternate CD.

@Rostyslaw: you can dualboot, but in order to do so you'll reasonably
need 10GB of hard drive partition to do so. You can do it in about 4GB,
but you'll quickly run out of space once you start adding all the cool
applications that are available w/linux.

Thank you for the suggestions, both you and Stephane and Phillip Chee.
System is 500Mhz P3, 768MB memory, with SCSI. C: & D: are each 8GB.
C: has 2.5GB available and D: has ~6GB.
I suppose that I'll have to learn how to read news running SM from an
Ubuntu LiveCD.
So what's the feedback on the expected performance of such a lash up?
Is it likely to be better or worse than the 1.1.14 on my base 98se
system? The current system doesn't actually crash. It just has
deteriorated to the speed of a sluggish snail.
--
Rostyk