Charles Milton Ling wrote:
Lester Caine wrote:
Charles Milton Ling wrote:
Greetings!

I am in the process of backing up everything of importance. I have read the instructions about transferring a profile, but now discover that I have a profile I didn't know anything about! The Profile Manager tells me that I have two profiles, namely "default" and "test" (which I once created solely for testing). Using Windows Explorer, however, I find that my "main" profile, the one containing all my e-mail etc., is called "Charley". I cannnot recall that I created it, and - as said - the Profile Manager apparently doesn't know about it either! When I start SeaMonkey, "default" is apparently used, and works. I am a bit confused, and grateful for any help.

The 'profile' is really only a short cut. The ACTUAL location of your emails will be identified by checking which directory your email accounts are using in 'Mail and Newsgroup account setting'. I normally change that location to the real location of my email and newsgroup history. Things like your bookmarks will still be in the 'default' profile. I tend to just copy that over the top of a new one created in the new machine.

I am afraid I don't quite understand. I have found the actual location, now where should I change it?
Sorry if I am very stupid!

It is something of a mess as far as I am concerned. Especially with 'randomly generated directory names' in the equation. You need a copy of the 'default' profile directory, and a copy of your 'Mail' and 'News' directories.

On the new machine install seamonkey. Find where it's created the new 'default' profile and copy your saved profile directory there. That should also give pointers to where the Mail and News directories were on the old machine, but it's probably worth tidying things up, so put them somewhere 'tidy' for you. In the 'Mail and Newsgroup account setting' preferences, change the server setting -> local directory to point to this directory.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL