chicagofan wrote:

My new msgFilterRules.dat has 1KB [from today's entries] and there is a
"rulesbackup.dat" file *created when that happened, that has 15KB.  Is
that the same file, or is that backup for something else on that date?

I've never heard nor seen a rulesbackup.dat and I really don't know what it is.

How would I put it back if I had a backup?  Just change the name of the
backup file and delete the new one?

I would give that a try. Besure to do it with SM closed. When you reopen SM are they there?