Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
Before anyone starts.

I am asking a question. I've quit giving support for Mac SeaMonkey.
Because I've told one too many time to shove it, Mac support is
unwelcome nor desired.

--------------

Question: I've had this problem from time to time but its years since I
have had the problem:

In my list of news Servers there is one that get regenerated called news
and email address is shown as User invalid. I've tried to figure out
what components in the Pref.js file to to delete. I've tried figuring
out using both a text editor or the built in config editor. And I tried
going to account wizard and killing the account named News.

I am using SM 1.1.14 but I've had this on going problem from time to tie
every since the first version of Mozilla came out.

You would think after about 10 years some one would come up with a way
to prevent this from happening.

I'd like to fix. all it is annoying but. with My age and patience. I
can't abide annoyances.

Once this question is answered; I'll get off the list and leave it to
the PC only crowd.

Upgrade to SM 2.0.a3. ;)

I only say that, because that is the only thing that solved the same problem for me.

I opened SeaMonkey one afternoon, and was greeted with the account wizard. I clicked out of it, and my accounts were there, but there was this bizarre rogue News account, exactly as you describe.

I removed the account using Mail & Newsgroup Account Settings, but it reappeared the next time I started SeaMonkey.

I clsed SeaMonkey and removed the News folder in the, well News folder of the profile. It came back as soon as I restarted. I combined the two operations. It came back.

I am quite sure that the change to the alpha was what did it so much as the fact that it creates a new profile. You could probably create a new profile and migrate your data from the old to the new. I am quite sure that would fix it, but I was going to test the alpha anyway, so what the heck. Fortunately, 2.0 has progressed to the point that zI can use it as a day to day browser and mail/news/rss client quite comfortably.

The funny thing about the rogue account was that it was functional. I could subscribe to groups and read them. However, When I cloised and reopened, they would all be gone.

So I suggest three options;

1) Just live with it. It doesn't cause any problem, other then being annoying.

2) Create a new profile, test to make sure its okay, then migrate your data.

3) Try the alpha.

Option 1 might be the best course until 2.0 hits beta. There are still some glitches, though I can attest that its going to be agreat product.

By the way, this funny News account only appeared on my gracefully aging iMac G5. My Intel Macbook has been just fine.

Lee