NoOp wrote:
On 03/24/2009 05:50 PM, HeavyDuty wrote:
SM 1.1.15, WinXP Pro SP3

Just curious,
I was sending a simple very small text e-mail. After a minute of "sending" but no completion, I got an error message that said the smtp server replied "error 4.1.2," and recipient "domain not found."

Actually it was probably a 450 error with a 4.1.2 Enhanced Mail System
Status (for humans) of what is going on.

Since I was replying to a known sender, I neither mistyped nor missent. I called my ISP to find out what error 4.1.2 was. The support guy said he had no idea and besides it was an error code generated by my e-mail client, not the isp.

He should have figured out that it was a 450 error:

450     Requested mail action not taken: mailbox unavailable

So, did seamonkey generate this error code or did it get it from my isp and patch it into the error window?

Your ISP generated the message.
After closing the error window, I just hit send again in the compose window and, after some hesitation, it went through.

That is because '4' error codes are Persistent Transient Failures. The
receiving end may have experienced a hiccup, temporary service
disruption etc.

I am still wanting know what error code 4.1.2 is all about. I /think/ it comes from an internet code protocol standard, but I could not find it. Thanks.

This might help:
and particularly:

4.X.X   Persistent Transient Failure

       A persistent transient failure is one in which the message as
       sent is valid, but some temporary event prevents the successful
       sending of the message.  Sending in the future may be successful.

X.1.X   Addressing Status

          The address status reports on the originator or destination
          address.  It may include address syntax or validity.  These
          errors can generally be corrected by the sender and retried.

X.1.2   Bad destination system address

          The destination system specified in the address does not
          exist or is incapable of accepting mail.  For Internet mail
          names, this means the address portion to the right of the
          "@" is invalid for mail.  This codes is only useful for
          permanent failures.

Thanks to all for the information and explanation.
I'll pass this along to my ISP tech support BUT, it will be a waste of time. The ones I talk to seem to have almost no technical training or knowledge and, even though Peter suggests speaking to a higher-up, it is impossible. I've tried this on numerous occasions over many years. Of note, the tech support for this company is in Columbus, Ohio, not exported off shore.