DoctorBill wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:
On 04/12/09 06:36, DoctorBill wrote:
OPeter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
DoctorBill wrote:
I had to join Facebook recently for some friends and relatives.

A lot of the "buttons" and Links do not work when I enter Facebook
using SeaMonkey 1.1

I have to use I.E.

Is there anything I can do about this or is it FaceBook's programmers fault ?

DoctorBill
change your user agent to Firefox: http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

OK.

I clicked the link and installed the xpi.

Do I do anything else or is the problem fixed ?

DoctorBill

It's been a while since I installed the UA switcher, but if I recall
correctly, it doesn't come with any Firefox user agent strings
installed. You'll need to add some yourself.

You can search the web for lists of user agent strings for various
browsers, then just create the ones you want to emulate, like
Firefox 2.0 or whatever.

There may be an easier way that I am not aware, but try this:

After installing the User Agent XPI file, launch the browser and go to
Tools -> User Agent Switcher -> Options -> Options, click on User
Agents, then click on the Add button. Use the following (replace any
data with the data you want, if different):

  Description   : Firefox 2.0
  User Agent    : Gecko/20070802 Firefox/2.0.0.6 SeaMonkey/1.1.4
  App Name      : Firefox
  App Version   : 2.0.0.6
  Platform      : Linux
  Vendor        : Firefox
  Vendor Sub    :

For Platform, I use Linux. You may want to use Win32 or Windows NT 6.0.

Then, when you want to go to a web site that is improperly sniffing, just
go to Tools -> User Agent Switcher -> Firefox (or whatever you called it)
and your browser will now send the new UA string.

Keep in mind that the User Agent setting will reset when you close the
browser, so you don't have to worry about setting it back.

Good luck,

To me this is quite complex and I do not understand it.

I did as you said, but don't know why or what it does.

So I guess...were you to give me a link that explains what a "User Agent" is and what all that stuff above is/does...I would become more erudite in the subject matter.

As of now - I have no idea what is going on - as per usual...

DoctorBill

a User Agent tells a little about yourself. Click on any posting, then click on View, Message Source, then look for "User-Agent." Then the bit after that tell websites what you're using, for example, yours says:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2pre) Gecko/20070111 SeaMonkey/1.1

and this tells us that you're using Windows XP [NT 5.1], you're using the English U.S. version, and you're using SeaMonkey 1.1.

With the User Agent Switcher, you can pretend to be something else, like another operating system, or another browser.

The User Agents are used to tell the website whether the page should be shown for IE browsers, or for Netscape browsers, or for Firefox browsers, and so forth. A lot of websites do something called browser sniffing, and they sniff for either IE or Firefox. So, if you're using another browser, then you're SOL.

When you're using the UA Switcher, basically what you're doing is pretending to be something you're not. So, if you're using SM, and a site doesn't work, then switch your UA to pretend you're FF, then chances are you'll be able to view the site without problems.