On 4/12/2009 2:14 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
> Mark Hansen wrote:

>>> OK.
>>>
>>> I clicked the link and installed the xpi.
>>>
>>> Do I do anything else or is the problem fixed ?
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>> It's been a while since I installed the UA switcher, but if I recall
>> correctly, it doesn't come with any Firefox user agent strings
>> installed. You'll need to add some yourself.
>>
>> You can search the web for lists of user agent strings for various
>> browsers, then just create the ones you want to emulate, like
>> Firefox 2.0 or whatever.
>>
>> There may be an easier way that I am not aware, but try this:
>>
>> After installing the User Agent XPI file, launch the browser and go to
>> Tools -> User Agent Switcher -> Options -> Options, click on User
>> Agents, then click on the Add button. Use the following (replace any
>> data with the data you want, if different):
>>
>>   Description   : Firefox 2.0
>>   User Agent    : Gecko/20070802 Firefox/2.0.0.6 SeaMonkey/1.1.4
>>   App Name      : Firefox
>>   App Version   : 2.0.0.6
>>   Platform      : Linux
>>   Vendor        : Firefox
>>   Vendor Sub    :
>>
>> For Platform, I use Linux. You may want to use Win32 or Windows NT 6.0.
>>
>> Then, when you want to go to a web site that is improperly sniffing, just
>> go to Tools -> User Agent Switcher -> Firefox (or whatever you called it)
>> and your browser will now send the new UA string.
>>
>> Keep in mind that the User Agent setting will reset when you close the
>> browser, so you don't have to worry about setting it back.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>

> To me this is quite complex and I do not understand it.
>
> I did as you said, but don't know why or what it does.
>
> So I guess...were you to give me a link that explains what a "User
> Agent" is and what all that stuff above is/does...I would become more
> erudite in the subject matter.
>
> As of now - I have no idea what is going on - as per usual...
>
> DoctorBill

For User Agent, see my
<http://www.rossde.com/internet/intr_gloss.html#agent>.

For a discussion of "sniffing" and why it is generally a questionable
practice, see my
<http://www.rossde.com/internet/Webdevelopers.html#sniff>.  Notice
especially the 4th bullet in that section of Web page.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>