On 04/12/09 14:14, DoctorBill wrote:
> Mark Hansen wrote:
>> On 04/12/09 06:36, DoctorBill wrote:
>>> OPeter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>>>> I had to join Facebook recently for some friends and relatives.
>>>>> A lot of the "buttons" and Links do not work when I enter Facebook
>>>>> using SeaMonkey 1.1
>>>>> I have to use I.E.
>>>>> Is there anything I can do about this or is it FaceBook's programmers
>>>>> fault ?
>>>> change your user agent to Firefox:
>>> I clicked the link and installed the xpi.
>>> Do I do anything else or is the problem fixed ?
>> It's been a while since I installed the UA switcher, but if I recall
>> correctly, it doesn't come with any Firefox user agent strings
>> installed. You'll need to add some yourself.
>> You can search the web for lists of user agent strings for various
>> browsers, then just create the ones you want to emulate, like
>> Firefox 2.0 or whatever.
>> There may be an easier way that I am not aware, but try this:
>> After installing the User Agent XPI file, launch the browser and go to
>> Tools -> User Agent Switcher -> Options -> Options, click on User
>> Agents, then click on the Add button. Use the following (replace any
>> data with the data you want, if different):
>> Description : Firefox 2.0
>> User Agent : Gecko/20070802 Firefox/188.8.131.52 SeaMonkey/1.1.4
>> App Name : Firefox
>> App Version : 184.108.40.206
>> Platform : Linux
>> Vendor : Firefox
>> Vendor Sub :
>> For Platform, I use Linux. You may want to use Win32 or Windows NT 6.0.
>> Then, when you want to go to a web site that is improperly sniffing, just
>> go to Tools -> User Agent Switcher -> Firefox (or whatever you called it)
>> and your browser will now send the new UA string.
>> Keep in mind that the User Agent setting will reset when you close the
>> browser, so you don't have to worry about setting it back.
>> Good luck,
> To me this is quite complex and I do not understand it.
> I did as you said, but don't know why or what it does.
> So I guess...were you to give me a link that explains what a "User
> Agent" is and what all that stuff above is/does...I would become more
> erudite in the subject matter.
> As of now - I have no idea what is going on - as per usual...
Here's the $.50 tour.
The page you're trying to view using SeaMonkey is trying to provide
page content specific to the browser you're using. Some browsers
work differently in some regards, and the page author/designer is
trying to make sure that his page content works in each one.
To deliver the correct content for your specific browser, the page
author/designer has included browser detection logic in his page.
This detection logic tells him which browser you're using, so he
can deliver the correct browser-specific content.
The problem is that the page author/designer doesn't really know
what he is doing, and has designed his page to detect which browser
you're using through a flawed technique. His page will work in
Gecko-based browsers (like Firefox, SeaMonkey, etc.) but instead of
detecting this, he is looking specifically for Firefox browsers.
So, to get his page content that works with Gecko-based browsers
(like SeaMonkey), you need your SeaMonkey browser to pretend to be
Firefox. You can do this using the User Agent Switcher.
Of course, the real problem is in the assumptions made by the page
author/designer about how the browser is detected. Some feel you can
tell the page author about this and convince him to fix his incorrect
assumptions. I'm not so optimistic, but each to their own :-)
Please let me know if this leaves you with any other questions.
support-seamonkey mailing list