JeffM wrote:
Ken wrote:
I am still being told:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe
R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library
incorrectly.  Please contact the application's support team for more
information.

"The Application" is NOT SeaMonkey.

The OS is screaming error messages at you
which are actually useful
--if you would bother to plug that into a search engine.
http://google.com/search?q=site:msdn.microsoft.com+intitle:Runtime.Error.R6034&filter=0
http://google.com/search?q=cache:JIZO7OiKBgMJ:social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/clr/thread/c81abb6f-275b-4e1a-9165-fce003e4e47c+dependency.check+faq+faq+Runtime.Error.R6034+fails-to-load-*-DLL+manifest-*&strip=1
http://google.com/search?q=cache:AzHb7PeEzMgJ:msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235560.aspx+last+last+Rebuild-*-application+R6034+last+manifest+How.to&strip=1
.
.
This group also has a seartchable archive at
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.seamonkey/topics
which yields
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.seamonkey/browse_frm/thread/12cab0e8b99ba3d4/e1fe030dcc83383e?q=VLC+zz-zz+R6034+known.problem+manifest-*

Jeff, I don't believe the message I quoted was 'screaming' at me what to do. And in fact not much of what you have gone on to quote from the Web - thank you kindly for your research - means a lot to not-greatly-technically-savvy me. Note, btw, my earlier observation that I don't have the problem if I use Internet Explorer, only when I use my preferred browser, SM. (That discrepancy puzzles me.) Also, the problem HAS now been sort-of solved - as I reported - by uninstalling my VLC media player. Now, while using SM, I can run the video clips in question. (Ideally, I would like to be able to run them with the VLC media player loaded, but unfortunately I don't understand the stuff on the Web about manifests and various dlls, and such.)

Metta - Ken in Oz