Gerard Francomb wrote:

This will become my main public address in future. Accordingly I would like it at the top of my list of email accounts in the sidebar to the the main mail window. Currently it is at the bottom of the list, just above Local Folders.

Does anyone know how to move it up the list?  I have tried a few things
that work in other programs but nothing has worked so far.

Open the "Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings" in Edit menu. Then click on preferred mail account so it get highlighted. Then below the list of accounts you have 3 buttons, one says "Set As Default". Click on that button and then on OK.

The highlighted account should now move to the top of the list of accounts, and also be in bold when you open the account settings next time.