Martin Feitag wrote:

Paul B. Gallagher schrieb:

With modern broadband connections, caching doesn't really speed up page

If you define "broadband" like the German government, it's still an
important part of the browser for some people. ;-)

My minimal broadband connection lets me download 6 MB per minute unless I exceed 200 MB in a 24 hour period. If I do exceed 200 MB, the system throttles me back to low-end dial-up speeds (e.g., 26.4 kbps) for 25 hours or so as punishment for my greed. Only in the latter case do I notice any benefit from caching. Oh -- and in case of fat media files such as a 5 MB wmv that takes a minute to reload if not cached.

I have friends with real broadband connections that are much faster, and as soon as FIOS is available here, I'm gonna switch.

Paul B. Gallagher