Paul B. Gallagher schrieb:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 08/08/2009 11:23 PM, Ant wrote:
>>> AFAIK, Amazon doesn't use Java. I know it uses Flash. Have you tried
>>> clearing caches, cookies, and history?
>>>
>>> SeaMonkey v1.x does get slower and slower in Windows with longer
>>> uptimes in Windows XP SP2-3. I know it leaks memory for long uptime
>>> (have seen its peak go almost 1 GB!), many tabs (I can go crazy like
>>> 50+ tabs at once!), etc. Also, having many extensions (have almost 20!).
>>>
>>> When I don't need to use SM, I do exit it to free up memory.
>>
>> As Robert pointed out, SM 2.0 is considerably better. However, I'd
>> recommend that you install PrefBar:
>> http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
>> Customize it to add the 'Clear Mem Cache' button and clear the memory
>> cache (and others) when you notice the problem. To add the button, you
>> can either click on the 'Customize' button, or use:
>> Edit|Preferences|Preferences Toolbar. Works in 1.1.x and 2.0x.
>
> This strikes me as a solution in search of a problem. I can easily clear
> the cache by going into Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Cache, and it
> only takes me an extra second or two. Not enough trouble to justify
> installing an extra bit of software.

Oh, it has other nice buttons and checkboxes, too. ;-) (e.g. for
enabling/disabling PopUps, javascript, restoring the last tab, etc.)

> What I would like to have is a user setting that tells SM do/don't clear
> cache on exit, or clear cache every nn hours, or something like that.

Included in SM2.0

> With modern broadband connections, caching doesn't really speed up pae

If you define "broadband" like the German government, it's still an
important part of the browser for some people. ;-)
regards

Martin

/\  www.asciiribbon.org   - http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii