Richard Owlett wrote:

Martin Feitag wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher schrieb:

With modern broadband connections, caching doesn't really speed up page

If you define "broadband" like the German government, it's still an
important part of the browser for some people. ;-)
regards

Last time I checked, less than a year ago, approximately 40% of US users ( including me ;) are still on dialup.

It's hard to judge, because "broadband penetration" statistics divide the number of broadband access points by the total population, not by the number of Internet users. US stats for December 2008 were around 25% by that measure, but how many users had access to each line? And what proportion of the population isn't online at all?
<http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/21/35/39574709.xls>

As for speeds, OECD includes anything over 256 kbit/s, which is a pretty low cutoff but does exclude dial-ups. <http://www.oecd.org/document/46/0,3343,en_2649_34225_39575598_1_1_1_1,00.html>

More info here:
<http://www.oecd.org/document/54/0,3343,en_2649_34225_38690102_1_1_1_1,00.html>

There's a subtle trap for software developers - assuming that their setup being 'nothing special' is not only 'normal' _BUT_ *THE NORM*

I wouldn't call it so much a trap for SW developers -- they don't suffer if they get it wrong, we do. Typically they write for high-end systems, driving innovation as users demand better performance from manufacturers and ISPs. A minority will write for low-end systems in the interest of broader market penetration.

Paul B. Gallagher