NoOp wrote:

On 08/08/2009 11:23 PM, Ant wrote:
AFAIK, Amazon doesn't use Java. I know it uses Flash. Have you tried clearing caches, cookies, and history?

SeaMonkey v1.x does get slower and slower in Windows with longer uptimes in Windows XP SP2-3. I know it leaks memory for long uptime (have seen its peak go almost 1 GB!), many tabs (I can go crazy like 50+ tabs at once!), etc. Also, having many extensions (have almost 20!).

When I don't need to use SM, I do exit it to free up memory.

As Robert pointed out, SM 2.0 is considerably better. However, I'd
recommend that you install PrefBar:
http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
Customize it to add the 'Clear Mem Cache' button and clear the memory
cache (and others) when you notice the problem. To add the button, you
can either click on the 'Customize' button, or use:
Edit|Preferences|Preferences Toolbar. Works in 1.1.x and 2.0x.

This strikes me as a solution in search of a problem. I can easily clear the cache by going into Edit | Preferences | Advanced | Cache, and it only takes me an extra second or two. Not enough trouble to justify installing an extra bit of software.

What I would like to have is a user setting that tells SM do/don't clear cache on exit, or clear cache every nn hours, or something like that. With modern broadband connections, caching doesn't really speed up pae loading that much anymore the way it did in the dialup days.

Paul B. Gallagher