On 9/17/2009 8:45 AM, Ken Rudolph wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>
>> PLEASE:  Any one who does this should also submit a bug report against
>> the offending Web site.  Otherwise you are encouraging such faulty
>> behavior.
>>
>> If you don't know how to submit a bug report and don't want to establish
>> a Bugzilla account, do the following:
>>
>> 1.  Go to the Web site in question.
>>
>> 2.  On the SeaMonkey menu bar, select [Help > Report Broken Web Site].
>>
>> 3.  Follow the instructions.
>
> Here's the thing.  I've been a loyal mozilla suite user since
> Netscape Navigator 0.8, and I'm not about to change my loyalty.  But
> it does seem that lately there has been an exponential increase of
> "buggy" sites that work with Firefox 3.5 but not SeaMonkey 1.1.x.
> I'm not a beta kind of user, and I'm hoping that the release version
> of SM 2.0 will someday, hopefully soon, solve these problems...but
> in the meantime reporting all these broken sites just seems like a
> useless exercise in tilting at windmills.  I've done it in the past
> and nothing ever improves.  I've had to conclude that there's
> something inherently wrong with SM 1.x in the current web
> environment.  It certainly isn't anywhere near as robust as
> Firefox's current browser (which takes forever to load and just
> isn't a *suite*...so I don't *want* to use it as my primary browser.)
>
> --Ken Rudolph

Very many of the problems are caused by Web developers who do not
understand how to create pages that are readily displayed by any
browser.  Instead, they create pages for only one browser; then they
create pages for only one other browser.  They "sniff" for what browser
you are using by looking at the user agent (UA) string.

Unfortunately, when looking at the UA string, they are looking for
"Firefox" when they should be looking for "Gecko".  The Gecko rendering
engine is common to Firefox, SeaMonkey, Camino, Flock, Galeon, K-Meleon,
and others.  It is Gecko that makes the request for the HTML or XHTML
files, and it is Gecko that renders the display you see in your browser
window.  By sniffing for "Firefox", those Web sites exclude all Gecko
browsers except Firefox without any good reason for doing so.  Such
sites will still be problematical for SeaMonkey 2 even though that
browser will use the latest Gecko engine.

There is an effort within the Mozilla community to get the owners of
such Web sites to correct how they sniff for browsers.  To bring a
browser to the attention of those involved in this effort, it is
requested that bug reports be submitted.  Of course, the real solution
is that Web sites should not sniff at all.  It is possible to create a
good, interesting, useful Web page that renders appropriately for all
modern browsers.

If you "spoof" Firefox from a SeaMonkey browser, I strongly suggest that
the UA string you use look something like
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23)
            Gecko/20090825 SeaMonkey/1.1.18, NOT Firefox/2.0.0.20
Otherwise, those who monitor and maintain Web sites will never know that
SeaMonkey browsers visited their sites.  Generally, they still won't
know.  However, you can then communicate and tell them what you have
done and that it works quite well, thus demonstrating that Gecko is
indeed Gecko and that sniffing for "Firefox" is wrong.

See <https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Sardisson/Gecko_is_Gecko>.  You might
consider referring Web masters of problematical sites to this URI.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>