NoOp wrote:
On 10/13/2009 11:56 PM, Martin Freitag wrote:
Daniel schrieb:
Russell wrote:
I really like the Seamonkey browser and have used it for years. In
previous SM
releases I could do a custom install and not install the email feature
as I
prefer to use another email client.
With Seamonkey v2 RC's custom install there's no option to omit the email
component and now every time I click on an email link in SM it's
asking me to
setup my Seamonkey email service.
How can I get rid of this and have my email open in the application I
prefer?
I'm using XP, but assume this issue exists with Vista as well.

Thanks

Russell
Russell, it is my understanding that as SeaMonkey Suite includes a
mail&news agent, SeaMonkey's first mail call will always be to it's
inbuilt mail agent.

If you've been using just the browser portion of SeaMonkey and getting
it to call another, separate, mail agent, I'd be interested to here how
you achieved that!!
He dismissed the mail-part n the Seamonkey setup, it's that easy.
The problem is that Seamonkey 2.0 does not allow that and by default
handles mailto-links internally.

I never tried that and I'm unsure if it works but maybe those
preferences could help Russel:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.protocol-handler.external.(protocol)
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.protocol-handler.app.(protocol)
regards

Martin

I just tested on a Win2KPro VM & I see what Russell is referring to. In
the test profile I've not set up the email client (2.0rc1) and to test I
also set MS Outlook in the system to be my default email client. I then
when to:
and clicked on disc...@mozdev.org. Rather than SeaMonkey launching the
prefered (for this test case) system email client, I get the SeaMonkey
Account setup wizard.

Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US;
rv:1.9.1.4) Gecko/20091007 SeaMonkey/2.0

I then did the same in FireFox:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3)
Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3

and that _did_ try to open an Outlook mail window.
  Note: so that folks don't get too excited, I also tested the same
using Thunderbird (3.x) as the default email client.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4pre)
Gecko/20090925 Lightning/1.0pre Shredder/3.0pre

Out of curiosity I then installed 1.1.17 (complete) and the same problem
occurs there as well, so it's not just 2.0(x) that does not allow using
an alternate email application.
  Note: I'd never encountered this before as I've always just had
SeaMonkey set as my default email client for as long as I can remember.

I beg to differ. In my office, I installed the Browser only component of Seamonkey 1.1.8. I need to use Outlook for the office Exchange Server. If I click on a mailto: link, it correctly launches Outlook.

Of course, since the Seamonkey mail/news client isn't installed it really doesn't have a choice, does it?

--
Jaime A. Cruz
Secretary

AMA District 34