On 10/13/2009 11:56 PM, Martin Freitag wrote:
> Daniel schrieb:
>> Russell wrote:
>>> I really like the Seamonkey browser and have used it for years. In
>>> previous SM
>>> releases I could do a custom install and not install the email feature
>>> as I
>>> prefer to use another email client.
>>> With Seamonkey v2 RC's custom install there's no option to omit the email
>>> component and now every time I click on an email link in SM it's
>>> asking me to
>>> setup my Seamonkey email service.
>>> How can I get rid of this and have my email open in the application I
>>> prefer?
>>> I'm using XP, but assume this issue exists with Vista as well.
>>> Thanks
>>> Russell
>> Russell, it is my understanding that as SeaMonkey Suite includes a
>> mail&news agent, SeaMonkey's first mail call will always be to it's
>> inbuilt mail agent.
>> If you've been using just the browser portion of SeaMonkey and getting
>> it to call another, separate, mail agent, I'd be interested to here how
>> you achieved that!!
> He dismissed the mail-part n the Seamonkey setup, it's that easy.
> The problem is that Seamonkey 2.0 does not allow that and by default
> handles mailto-links internally.
> I never tried that and I'm unsure if it works but maybe those
> preferences could help Russel:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.protocol-handler.external.(protocol)
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.protocol-handler.app.(protocol)
> regards
> Martin

I just tested on a Win2KPro VM & I see what Russell is referring to. In
the test profile I've not set up the email client (2.0rc1) and to test I
also set MS Outlook in the system to be my default email client. I then
when to:
and clicked on disc...@mozdev.org. Rather than SeaMonkey launching the
prefered (for this test case) system email client, I get the SeaMonkey
Account setup wizard.

Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US;
rv: Gecko/20091007 SeaMonkey/2.0

I then did the same in FireFox:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:
Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3

and that _did_ try to open an Outlook mail window.
  Note: so that folks don't get too excited, I also tested the same
using Thunderbird (3.x) as the default email client.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:
Gecko/20090925 Lightning/1.0pre Shredder/3.0pre

Out of curiosity I then installed 1.1.17 (complete) and the same problem
occurs there as well, so it's not just 2.0(x) that does not allow using
an alternate email application.
  Note: I'd never encountered this before as I've always just had
SeaMonkey set as my default email client for as long as I can remember.