Jim J schrieb:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> Install Thunderbird before you uninstall SeaMonkey (they can be used in
>> parallel) and it should offer to import all of your data. While you are
>> at it, why not give SeaMonkey 2.0rc2 a try?
>
> One reason for switching to Firefox is that too many websites do not
> recognize Seamonkey as a "supported" browser. Some of them don't even
> give you the option to "Continue anyway".
Just open about:config in the URLbar
filter for general.useragent.override (if it doesn't exist, create a new
string with this name and give it the following value (one line):
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; de-AT; rv:1.8.1.23)
Gecko/20090825 SeaMonkey/1.1.18 NOT Firefox/2.0.0.14

Websites Filtering for Firefox will detect their beloved Firefox at the
end and smart people can still see your using Seamonkey.

> The other is that there are
> far more addons, plug-ins and themes available for Firefox.

SM won't reach all of them, but compatibility for SM2 is much higher
than for SM1!

> Even if I do stick with Seamonkey (which isn't entirely out of the
> question), I _must_ uninstall my current version first to eliminate some
> version conflicts which occurred with my last upgrade attempt.

Install SM2 to a new dirctory. On the first start it will offer you to
import your data and create also a NEW profile with it.
If everything is fine you can uninstall SM1 and delete the SM1 profile
if you wish.

> I assume
> that this will wipe out all of my e-mail, personal data, etc., so the
> question remains: What do I need to backup, and how do I restore it so
> the new installation uses it?

If you still want to get your hands on the prfile data by hand:
http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/

regards
Martin

PS: when adding that "NOT Firefox"-thing to the new SM2 I would
recommend to use "NOT Firefox 3.5.4" at the end instead of FF2
/\  www.asciiribbon.org   - http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii