On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Robert Kaiser wrote:

Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:27:47 +0100
From: Robert Kaiser <ka...@kairo.at>
To: support-seamonkey@lists.mozilla.org
Newsgroups: mozilla.support.seamonkey, mozilla.dev.apps.seamonkey,
    mozilla.support.seamonkey, mozilla.dev.planning,
    mozilla.support.mozilla-suite, netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey,
    mozilla.dev.l10n
Subject: SeaMonkey 2.0 - The Modern Internet Suite is Here!

The SeaMonkey project at Mozilla is excited to release its completely refurbished next generation of the all-in one Internet suite today: SeaMonkey 2.0, now available for free download from the seamonkey-project.org website, melds the ideas behind Netscape Communicator with the modern platform of Firefox 3.5 to create one of the most compelling open source products for advanced Internet users.

<snip>

Due to the reported problems, it seems a bit too problematic to update from 1.1.18 to 2.0, now. Maybe people like me, who need to be consident that our systems are (relatively) stable, need to wait until 2.1 is released.

One thing that concerns me, is the use of the .tar.bz2 (files like that used to be .tar.gz - the .bz2 entended extension, seems a bit different) file, rather than a package file (like .deb), for Linux.

I run Ubuntu Linux 8.04LTS, Debian 5 Linux, and Windows XP with service packs (I believe that I have SP3, in addition to SP2, which I do know was installed, but I am not definite about SP3), although the Win XP should probably now be replaced with Win 7, so I think it is probably best, for stability, to wait until if and when Seamonkey 2 (or, even better, from the reporting of the problems, version 2.1, with all the bugs of version 2, fixed) makes it into the package repositories for the Linux distributions.

Also, it would need to be explicitly stated, that Seamonkey v2.x would definitely be able to be installed in parallel with an existing installation of 1.1.x, and, be able to import settings/profiles/history from v1.1.x, on each of the different operating systems, so that the two could be run in parallel (parallel implementation is alsways safest, in software development), to ensure that we do not lose data, as has been reported as having happened with other people who have upgraded from 1.1.18 to 2, or who have replaced 1.1.18 with 2.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."