Robert Kaiser wrote:
The SeaMonkey project at Mozilla is excited to release its completely
refurbished next generation of the all-in one Internet suite today:
SeaMonkey 2.0, now available for free download from the
seamonkey-project.org website, melds the ideas behind Netscape
Communicator with the modern platform of Firefox 3.5 to create one of
the most compelling open source products for advanced Internet users.

Bravo.  Good work.

Well, except for the totally ill-conceived trashing of the modal windows.

If I have multiple accounts for a single site (say, American Express, which I do, and many many other sites), and the reason I stored that account info in SeaMonkey in the first place was because I can't and don't want to have to recall the arcane login info, then, no, the new paradigm doesn't work.

If I can't remember that one login begins with "1" and the other login begins with "e" and the third login begins with "j" ... well, how the hell is this new paradigm better? I mean, look, I plugged all this data into SeaMonkey so SM could remember it, not me.

WTFO?

The whole point of that function is (well, "was") so I don't have to remember, ok? And now you guys broke it. So I now have to remember all my logins in order to use SM's function.

Admit it.  You broke a perfectly good and useful function.

We can argue later about WHY you broke it. But, admit it. The function is broken. The functionality is broken. The usability is broken.

"Stupid modal window"? Users don't care about that argument. I care that I have a useful function on a Web site where I have 3 or 4 or 5 different logins. AND THE REASON I US SM AND IT'S LOGIN FUNCTION WAS ... I DON'T WANNA HAVE TO REMEMBER THIS SHIT!!!

Got it now?

So, okay, modal windows have been deemed inelegant by the programmers. Fine. No problem.

Tell you what. Solve my problem and yours at the same time and I'll praise you.

Screw me with nonsensical programming arguments? Sorry. You can't support it. There's no argument you can muster that says your argument outweighs normal usage like mine.

Tell me, please. If a user of SM has 3 or 4 (or more) logins to a single site, and the whole purpose of using SM's password manager is to not have to remember any of those logins, so that when a user goes to a login URL he'll be tossed up a modal (sorry, "stupid" modal) window wherein he can go "Oh! Right! My wife's account! No! My account! Oh no!!! My daughter's account! Ooops! My son's account ..."

Hey. If I wanted to keep all that shit in my brain I'd just use IE. Or something else. What the hell where you people thinking?

So, ok, please, tell me. Tell me, in my usage, how am I to employ the new SM paradigm? How is this better for me?

And, please, tell me, how does this new and better paradigm work when I log into a site where I have 2, 3, 4 or 5 login identities and I can't remember how any of them start?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net