On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:41:01 +0100, Martin Freitag wrote:
> Philip Chee schrieb:
>> On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 17:16:19 +0100, Ray_Net wrote:
>>> You will say the same after switching to SM 2.1 ?
>>
>> Unfortunately we may be forced to do that as well. Chrome seems to have
>> lit a fire under the Firefox devs and they plan to abandon the 3.5
>> (Gecko 1.9.1) branch once Firefox 3.6 is out in early 2010 and Firefox
>> 3.7 in late 2010.
>>
>> We had originally planned to keep 2.0 as our current branch for most of
>> 2010. However it looks like we will need to release a 2.1 based on 1.9.2
>> (Firefox 3.6) somewhere in summer this year whether we like it or not.
>
> Is that "bad"? (e.g. that SM2.1 will be based on gecko 1.9.2)
> I guess (as a non-developer), the biggest change was the one from the
> old SM to the new toolkit stuff and won't cause severe changes while
> "living" in Gecko 1.9.x, especially not for the users. (like: oh, we
> have to abandon form-manager and half of the SM users crying, etc.)
> regards

The ability to import/migrate *some* data (I think global history) from
1.x profiles will be lost in 1.9.2. We had hoped to have most of our 1.x
users migrated to SeaMonkey 2.0 before switching to 2.1. As a workaround
I guess we can make a release note for 1.x users to upgrade to 2.0 first.

Other than that 1.9.2 is a significant improvement which will enable us
to do more fancy stuff (if only we had the developers to do it of course).

Phil

[ ]<%>{ 1 fish, <%>{ 2 fish, <%>{ red fish, <%>{ blue fish
* TagZilla 0.066.6