Daniel wrote:
Frog wrote:
SNIP

The following is the remaining part of this call for help that has not
been answered. I thought it might help to get everything else out of the
way, so it would be easier for people to get to my problem. Here is that
problem and some of my comments.

Frog wrote:

Background:
I decided to install SeaMonkey 2.0.3 on my system yesterday. I also
intend to keep SeaMonkey 1.1.18 installed on my system. I allowed the
2.0.3 software to be installed in the default locations--I made
absolutely no changes to this process. My operating system is Windows
XP SP3.

Problem 1:
I am having a problem with the entries listed under "Go" when I am
looking at the 2.0.3 mail window. Here is the problem:

When I click "Go" at the top of the screen (the line just under the blue
banner)I see the following:

Next >
Previous >
___________________
Mail Start Page
___________________
f...@pond.com >
Local Folders >
Microsoft Help >
Mozilla Help >
etc.

All of the letters for Next and Previous are in black letters and the
remainder of the entries are in gray letters. I need to know how to
make the gray letters black so that I can click on them--so that they
will take me to the items clicked. Any suggestions?

I have used a big part of my day today reading web pages/old messages
etc. in an attempt to find the answer to my problem--no joy. I now have
a few questions, that reach far beyond my technical skill level. Here
are those questions:

-----Could it be that some setting is wrong in about:config. Don't get
excited about my doing any changes in this area--I know better until
some technically smart person informs me what I should do. I just was
wondering, if my problem might be in this area.

-----Why is it that I cannot find any information about the "Go" button
that exists on the Mail page? I thought maybe I could come to a
conclusion about the source of my problem--possibly a corrupt profile or
an error in the 2.0.3 software download.

Frog, I seem to remember, at one time, somewhere here, you mentioned that you copied your profile from an old back-up. Might this have been from a CD?? If so, the files copied from CD's may have been marked as "Read-Only", which might explain why you are getting these results.

Close All versions of SeaMonkey and if you have the SM quick start icon down near the Start button turn it off as well.

Now open you Windows File Manager and go to the profile that you are having troubles with and right click on the inbox file and have a look at its properties to see if it is marked as "Read-Only".

If it is, un-check it and do likewise for the other files in the profile, then go up a level and check and un-check those files, and go up a level........until you reach a level where they are not marked as "Read-Only"

Have fun.

Daniel

Thanks for the message---

As I said in my earlier messages, my technical knowledge is limited. Before I do something "not so smart" I will ask my questions. Are you referring to Windows Explorer when you say Windows File Manager? If so, all of the entries there from SeaMonkey through all of my accounts are "Read Only". I attempted to change one on them--the change simply reverts back to "Read Only". That is why I believe I must be in the wrong place to make the changes.

The only thing I did, subsequent to installing 2.0.3, was to establish ICONS on the Desktop for both old and new versions of SeaMonkey, and I copied/pasted, from a USB connected hard drive backup made on 2/15/2010, the start-up information for 1.1.18. The original ICONs and start-up information for 1.1.18 was removed by Seamonkey 2.0.3 asit was being installed. I have done nothing, other than the two ICONs (browser and mail) for 2.0.3 since it was installed.

Frog

-----What role does the Profile play with regard to Mail and Newsgroup
Account settings? It appears that my accounts completed migration from
1.1.18 to 2.0.3. I say this because I can see (in gray letters) all of
my accounts in the "Go" drop down window. I can also open up my
"default" profile on 2.0.3 and find all of my accounts listed.

I have used every other aspect of the new SeaMonkey 2.0.3 software, that
I routinely use, and have found no other problems. I can download
personal mail, can access the web, can delete mail, can compose mail,
can open mail, etc. I can do everything I routinely do on 2.0.3, that I
previously did on 1.1.18. The big problem, however, is my inability to
access newsgroups as I did on the old system. That is why making the
"Go" button on the mail page work is so important. That is where I would
click the newsgroup I wanted to visit. Clicking an item in the drop down
window would close the account previously in use and open the new account.

The bottom line at this point is--
I don't know whether to remove 2.0.3 and reload the software,
create a new profile or
make a change in about:config (with instructions).

I think that sums up where I am at this point. I sure hope somebody will
come to my aid before I go crazy--if I'm not already there.

Frog