Frog wrote:

Daniel wrote:

Frog, I seem to remember, at one time, somewhere here, you mentioned that you copied your profile from an old back-up. Might this have been from a CD?? If so, the files copied from CD's may have been marked as "Read-Only", which might explain why you are getting these results.

Close All versions of SeaMonkey and if you have the SM quick start icon down near the Start button turn it off as well.

Now open you Windows File Manager and go to the profile that you are having troubles with and right click on the inbox file and have a look at its properties to see if it is marked as "Read-Only".

If it is, un-check it and do likewise for the other files in the profile, then go up a level and check and un-check those files, and go up a level........until you reach a level where they are not marked as "Read-Only"

Have fun.

Daniel

Thanks for the message---

As I said in my earlier messages, my technical knowledge is limited. Before I do something "not so smart" I will ask my questions. Are you referring to Windows Explorer when you say Windows File Manager?

That seems like a reasonable assumption and the one I would make.

If so, all of the entries there from SeaMonkey through all of my
accounts are "Read Only".  I attempted to change one on them--the
change simply reverts back to "Read Only".  That is why I believe I
must be in the wrong place to make the changes.

If the profile is located on a CD, you can't change file attributes. If it's on an ordinary hard disk drive, you should be able to.

With SeaMonkey closed, of course...

In Windows Explorer, select the profile directory (the one above xxxxxxxx.slt, where "xxxxxxxx" is a random assortment of numbers and letters) and right-click the folder name. One of the options should be "Properties." Choose that.

The dialog that appears should have checkboxes as follows:

        Attributes: [ ] Read-only               [Advanced...]

                    [ ] Hidden

Click the "Read-only" check box once to clear it, or more than once if necessary, but don't double-click it. Then click the "Apply" button at the bottom. Windows will prompt you, asking whether to apply the change only to the folder itself, or to the folder and all its contents. Tell it to apply the change to all the contents. After a minute of thinking, it should mark each and every file and subdirectory within the profile as read-only.

You don't have to go through hundreds or thousands of files one at a time by hand.

Paul B. Gallagher