Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:
On 3/2/2010 4:48 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
In Windows Explorer, select the profile directory (the one above xxxxxxxx.slt, where "xxxxxxxx" is a random assortment of numbers and letters) and right-click the folder name. One of the options should be "Properties." Choose that.

The dialog that appears should have checkboxes as follows:

    Attributes: [ ] Read-only               [Advanced...]

                [ ] Hidden

Click the "Read-only" check box once to clear it, or more than once if necessary, but don't double-click it. Then click the "Apply" button at the bottom. Windows will prompt you, asking whether to apply the change only to the folder itself, or to the folder and all its contents. Tell it to apply the change to all the contents. After a minute of thinking, it should mark each and every file and subdirectory within the profile as read-only.

You don't have to go through hundreds or thousands of files one at a time by hand.

Just FYI, my top-level SM 1.1.X profile directory also indicates Read
Only when viewed in Windows/Explorer and my application is running
normally.

Note that when I view the properties of individual files (not directories),
they don't show as read only. Perhaps checking the directories is not the
correct approach?

I'm running Windows/XP SP3, btw.

Me, too.

A thorough examination of my system shows that all the /folders/ in my profile have gray (not black) checkmarks,

I don't know where you are finding checkmarks. When looking a the properties for a file under xxxxxxxxx.slt, I see two entries-- Read Only and Hidden. Neither box is checked for the files under the xxxxxxxxxx.slt entry. I did notice one interesting difference between 1.1.18 and 2.0.3 entries. The entry for 1.1.18 is g62n48iz.slt and the one for 2.0.3 is x1pbu8dh.default. I had never noticed this difference before tonight.

which normally indicates that
some of their contents are read-only and some are not (I suppose it could also mean the attribute is not set for these folders). However, all the actual /files/ are not read-only. This is with system and hidden files and folders revealed.

Still, if the OP wants to clear the read-only attribute quickly and easily after copying from a CD, the technique I described is the way to go. Fast, easy, painless, guaranteed to work.

See my response to your earlier message--I am not involved with any CDs.

Frog