David E. Ross wrote:
On 8/30/10 1:54 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
On 8/30/2010 12:13 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 8/30/10 7:35 AM, Ant wrote:
On 8/29/2010 3:54 PM PT, David E. Ross typed:

I have the PrefBar extension installed for SeaMonkey.  I use the
JavaScript checkbox to disable JavaScript whenever I view the Huffington
Post, not because of what happens to navigation arrows but because of
the annoying same-window popups.  I also disable JavaScript for several
other news Web sites for the same reason.  The only problem is
remembering to enable JavaScript before I visit a page where it is
really needed.

Strange, I don't get pop-ups there but then I do use AdBlock Plus. Is
there a way to white and black lists web sites for JS? But then other
features on those web sites would break. Ugh!

The "popups" are not advertisements; they are not even true popups.
They are in the form of large tool-tips, comments on the item over which
the cursor is hovering.  Thus, AdBlock Plus (which I too use) will not
block them.  Although they are not ads, they are very annoying because
they often hide adjacent content.

My own personal definition of a 'popup' is ANYTHING that appears over
already present display information that is not requested by the user.
It really doesn't matter if it is advertisement, or not.  If it obscures
content, and is not requested, then it is a popup.  It appears that
Firefox devs need to reassess the current state of such distractions to
see if they can be prevented.  This is just another of those 'arms
races' where advertisers, and others, seek to override the user's
preferences as to how they view content.

I visit a number of Web pages where the tooltip type of "popup" happens
to be important.

Go to<http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/>.  Hover your cursor over a tropical
storm.  You will get a popup that provides a summary about that storm.
Currently, at<http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml?epac>, the map shows
a low-pressure area that is not yet a storm.  The popup for that
low-pressure area provides an estimated probability of whether it will
become a tropical storm.

Nice example of a "good" use of the function. Unfortunately, it is all to often sorely abused.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/