On 8/31/10 1:37 PM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 8/31/2010 9:56 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

>>> Doesn't SM And Firefox both have pop-up blockers? and aren't they
>>> already setup so you can white list legit Pop-ups such as for example
>>> the weather websites.
>>>
>>> Only item I woul love to permanent kill is the NetFlix ad opens every
>>> time you open another website. I believe they have infiltrated  the
>>> various sites without knowledge of the website owner. For example cNet,
>>> ZDnet, and Computerworld news. as long as your on the main page fine (it
>>> already has small ads which ignore). But as soon as I go to read an
>>> article, bam!, up comes the NetFix ad, and the only way I can get rid of
>>> it, is use back arrow to go back one page. then it doesn't show up any
>>> more that session.
>>>
>>> In order to stop it  it stops all Pop ups or pop overs . The way I'd
>>> like to see it work. As soon as one of these things comes up, a message
>>> would appear from SM or FF do you wish to ban forever the pop
>>> up/popover. click yes/ or know the message would never show up again. if
>>> you answered yes it woul be permanently block if no, no action would be
>>> taken.
>>>

>> The popup blocker in the Gecko-based browsers blocks actual popups,
>> which are separate pages.  What I have been trying to describe are more
>> like tooltips within the page you are viewing.
>>
>> Did you visit the National Hurricane Center pages I cited?  If so, did
>> you hover your cursor over the storms shown on the maps?
>>
> I think the point is that the USER should be able to decide if he/she
> wants these things obscuring what is being displayed, NOT the website
> designer.  I would like the ability to banish such popups, even if some
> people find them helpful, should that suit my fancy.

They are banished if you disable JavaScript.  As I indicated earlier in
this thread, toggling between enabled and disabled is easy with the
JavaScript checkbox on the PrefBar toolbar.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross