Robert Kaiser wrote:
MintyJewel schrieb:
Can you please explain ( to confused little me ) why there are so many
massive overhauls?

The updates that get applied automatically are only security and
stability fixes, not "massive overhauls". Those should never break
anything, and any add-ons from the official SeaMonkey add-ons site
should work just as well before and after those minor updates.

Robert, I agree with the "should never break" part, but in practice 2.0.7 had major issue for some people and worked poorly or not at all.

And add-ons from the official site are not the issue, I suspect that the major reason people use add-ons in the first place is to work around policy decisions made in the original code, and those are usually on some other site. In other words they bridge the gap between some FF developer saying "this is the way users should do it" and "this is the way *I* want to do it." Changes to SM break add-ons from other sites, which were installed to fix a perceived problem in many cases.

I'm not suggesting that you avoid making changes, just clarifying why some users want auto-notification but not, not ever, auto-install.

Massive upgrades to new versions will never be done automatically (we
are not Google, who are crazy enough to do that for Chrome) but only
after asking you if you want to upgrade. Also, those are pretty rare,
probably not more than one per year.

From my testing of 2.1 I would say that a clear spec of how to write conforming extensions, possibly with some trivial example, is desirable.

Robert Kaiser

--