On 10/12/2010 02:26 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> Nelson Bolyard wrote:
>> I'm asking this question in both SeaMonkey and Thunderbird support groups
>> because I figure the answer is likely the same for either product.
>>
>> My aged aunt lost her address book file in her Mac SeaMonkey profile.
>> But her sent folder is intact, with all the emails she's sent in the last
>> decade.  Is there any way to populate a new fresh address book using the
>> To and CC addresses in the emails in her sent folder?
>>
>> I could extract all the To and CC addresses from the folder (with grep).
>> If I did that, and had a plain text file of email addresses, would there
>> be a way to repopulate her address book from that file of email addresses?
>>

> Yes, at least for SeaMonkey 2.0.8 under WinXP Pro.
> I had seen the answer to this somewhere, but couldn't remember
> details. So a little experimentation filled in blanks - knowing a
> solution is possible helps ;)
>
> Under
>    Window -> Address Book -> Tools -> Import
> are a list of choices. [Comma or tab delimited are available]
>
> I went to
>      Window -> Address Book -> Tools -> Export
> and exported one of my address books and found that the 1st gives
> field titles thus telling you what needs to go where.
>
> HTH

One way to eliminate wading through a multimeg Sent or Inbox file would
be to set a message filter & filter on a generic '@' and just set it to
tag the message. Then run the filter on the existing inbox. The
filterlog.html file will have information regarding the filter results &
have something along the lines of:

Applied filter "Bugs" to message from Senders Name
<redac...@bugs.launchpad.net>

Thee above is of course from my filter list, but you can see the
delimiters for grep extraction. Or, just copy & paste the html file into
OpenOffice.org/LibO Calc and it will import with options to delimit. You
can then construct a cvs file that can be imported back into addressbook.