Beauregard T. Shagnasty schrieb:
MCBastos wrote:

Also, many (many, many many...) websites have some sort of facebook
thingie on their pages. It might be just the "like" button, it might be
something more complex -- I know a few, for instance, that insert their
Facebook stream sort of like a blog.

I investigated a page/site a couple weeks ago, where a poster complained
about Facebook.

I found that each page of the site called up a facebook.com JavaScript
file -- of a quarter-megabyte worth of code.

Yes, Facebook is intrusive! Those "Like" buttons tell Facebook every
page you visit.

Yes, it's really disturbing - giving other hosters access to the IPs and maybe referrers of your own visitors by linking static content from other web sites was already considered interesting a few years ago.

To mention a good initiative:
A German IT news portal torn between supporting social networks and not willing to do the above (for several reasons, I guess) includes potential link to FB/G+/Twitter, but only activates them (via JS) upon users demand (either case-by-case or by-default).
They do share their code, IIRC.

See:
http://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/2-Klicks-fuer-mehr-Datenschutz-1333879.html
http://www.heise.de/extras/socialshareprivacy/

Sorry, I did not find an English version of the pages; the international branch uses pure links (no JS) to interact with the social networks... ... maybe something that could be requested from them, if anybody's interested.

Best regards
Philipp