On 1/2/13 9:36 AM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>
>> On 1/2/13 6:13 AM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>>>
>>> I've never been able to figure out why some people want to have both
>>> programs installed. If you have the full Acrobat program, what good is
>>> the Reader? You already have a perfectly good reader in Acrobat. So
>>> don't confuse them, and don't confuse the OS, and don't confuse SM.
>>> Delete the Reader and just run Acrobat.
>>>

>> Full-featured Adobe Acrobat (reader and writer) costs money.
>
> I know that. That's why I said "IF you have the full Acrobat
> program...." I was assuming you'd bought and paid for it already.
>
>> Updates cost money.
>
> Updates within a version are free. Updates to new versions do cost
> money. But as you indicate below, you haven't updated to a new version
> in 14 years.
>
>> Once you have installed it, you have the capability of creating PDF
>> files and really do not need updates to continue creating PDF files.
>
> Yes.
>
>> However, you might need updates for the reader -- Adobe Reader -- to
>> avoid security vulnerabilities from "foreign" PDF files (files you
>> have downloaded from the Web or received as E-mail attachments).
>
> This takes us back to my question -- why have the Reader at all if you
> already have Acrobat? Acrobat is perfectly capable of displaying and
> printing PDFs.
>
>> I have Adobe Acrobat 4.0 (from 1998?), which still meets my needs as a
>> writer.  Upgrading to a new version would cost me about $140.
>>
>> I also have Adobe Reader 11.0, the latest version.  Upgrading was free.
>>
>> When I get a new PC, I just have to be careful to install Adobe Acrobat
>> before I install Adobe Reader for SeaMonkey to use the latter.
>
> So does Reader 11 let you view files that Acrobat 4 can't display? Is
> that the point? It hadn't occurred to me that you might still be running
> a 1998-vintage program.

I have no idea if Acrobat 4 cannot view files that Reader 11 can.  My
configuration is setup so that opening a PDF file -- either in Windows
XP or SeaMonkey 2.14.1 -- immediately goes to Reader 11.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Are taxes too high in the U.S.?  Check the bar graph
at <http://www.rossde.com/taxes/trickling.html> to see.