Connie <connie.spar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>> When your current profile is different from the one where you found the
>> mail, you can create the required mail account in the new profile, then
>> close the program and using the explorer copy the folder Mail from the
>> old profile to the new profile.   This is where all your mail files are.
>>
>> When you then start Seamonkey again, the mail should be back.
>>
>> To be sure, I would install version 2.14.1 and not 2.15 or higher.
>> There appears to be a problem in that version, as I have seen a couple
>> of postings about suddenly losing the profile.
>
> Hallo
>
> OK, I'll uninstall the current version of SeaMonkey and install 2.14.1
> or will the latter install over my current version?

I always install the old version, then install the new one.  The uninstall
is very quick (5 seconds) so this should be no problem.

> Do I create each account, then copy across the mail folder to the new
> profile?  Sorry, if that's a basic (dozy) question but I don't want to
> mess everything up and lose all the mails since they seem to all be
> there right now.
>
> Connie in London

Of course you can always copy that Mail folder where all your mail is
now to a safe place (e.g. in your documents directory) before doing
anything else.

In general, it would also be a good idea to make backups of a system
where you have valuable information.  Right now you have a small
problem because some linkage between the software and your information
has been disturbed.  But next time you can have a crashed disk or
stolen laptop and you simply lose everything without recourse.

USB memory sticks with multi-gigabyte capacity and external disks with
hundreds or thousands of gigabytes are very cheap these days, and you
can make backups of the whole system or just your own files on them.
Then, when you have problems you can always restore what you had last
time you made a backup.
(e.g. each week or each day when you have a lot of changing information)