On 01/24/2013 12:38 AM, Rob wrote:
> NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net.invalid> wrote:

>>> Not take which advice?  Uninstalling the version already installed?
>>> Installing over the top or not doing so?  Or not installing 2.14.1?
>>
>> Installing 2.14.1 instead of the current 2.15.1.
>>
>> Notice that 2.15 fixes 12 /Critical/ security issues, and 6 /High/
>> security issues.
>
> Wait.  Each and every new release combines security fixes with
> functional changes and new bugs.   It is like that, no matter if
> you like it or not.   It is not always good to install the latest
> release, because they (lately) often come with critical problems
> that affect the average user much much more than a security issue.

So you are advising every "average user" here to back down to 2.14.1?

> The security issue only hits you when you visit some infected site,
> the new bugs often hit you all the time and right in the face.

I recommend that you actually take the time to *read* the fixed security
issues.

And do you think you will have a heads up for every "infected site"? Or
that all of the security fixes/vulnerabilities only involve the browser
component?

> Watch for example what happened with IMAP mail in 2.13.  We had to
> rollback the entire Seamonkey deployment in our company because of
> critical bugs in 2.13.   Now we use 2.14.1 but I am again very
> wary to upgrade without extensive testing and making sure there
> are no stupid bugs like the font bug that was introduced into the
> HTML editor (and forced us to disable font size changes in the
> mail composition)

Odd, I don't see that mentioned in your posts here. But see no
improvement on the IMAP issues that I experience regardless of version.
(I click on an IMAP account & get continuous download symptoms until I
click away).

Your election to wait to install 2.15.x across 400+ computers is, of
course your choice. It may even be a good choice in your
situation/environment, but in the interim your company is at risk to the
CVE's listed. That said, I'd be pretty hesitant to tell someone an
individual on this list to stay at a 2.14 release without (IMO) good
reason.

> Security issues are important, but functional bugs are also (and
> even more) important.  Unfortunately, Mozilla does not separate
> them like Microsoft does.   With Microsoft Internet Explorer we
> get functionally stable releases for which security bugs are solved
> with updates with as little functional impact as possible.

I see. Well I suppose... nah, never mind.

> With Mozilla you basically get security issues fixed only in the
> "current version", and whenever a security bug is fixed they entice
> you to upgrade to a new version with functional changes and new
> bugs, that are fixed only very slowly.   This means that many users
> just stay at (slightly) older versions.

I reckon that with the 400 MSO (mail & browser) license fees that your
company saves by using SeaMonkey, perhaps your company can contribute
something to the SeaMonkey project?
<https://donate.mozilla.org/page/contribute/seamonkey>
<http://www.seamonkey-project.org/dev/>