John E пишет:

Thanks Exalm for your suggestions,  but 'fraid I'm still stuck on these
problems.  On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 at 23:57:01 +0600 you wrote:

Go to ~/.local/share/applications directory (create it if it's absent),
create seamonkey.desktop file (look other files there, or in
/usr/share/applications), so that its command is "/usr/local/seamonkey"
its name is "SeaMonkey" or "SeaMonkey Internet Suite" or whatever etc.

OK,  I know the command I need is /usr/local/seamonkey/./seamonkey 'cos
that works from Terminal,  and I've found lots.of examples of desktop
configuration files in /usr/share/applications.    My problem is that I
don't know how to create a new one for SM. If I left click on one of
these example files,  it immediately opens the program it was created
for,  and if I right click on it,  I can view its properties and the
command it's invoking,  but how do I edit or create a new one?   What
format do these desktop config files take?

Also you add this:
StartupWMClass=Seamonkey
So that it gets correctly matched with SM windows in Unity.

Please can you explain exactly where I should add this?
You should create open some .desktop file in text editor, then save it with some other name, like seamonkey.desktop. Edit command, name etc there.

I downloaded Oubuntu1ppa4-quantal_all.deb (the English language pack for
SM), but Software Center came up with "Dependency is not satisfiable", I
Obviously, seamonkey-locale-en (That's en_GB, if anything. en_US is bundled with SM itself) depends on seamonkey package.
tried to overcome this with Edit -> Software Sources -> Other Software
-> Add  but got stuck not finding an acceptable APT line to add there.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/exalm/seamonkey/ubuntu quantal main
Then I still have my above issues 4 and 5 unresolved. SM isn't detecting
my previously installed Adobe Flash Player.
Is the corresponding .so present in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins?