On 9/24/18 4:13 PM, twbartender wrote:
I'm also having problems with google.com. Specifically the google search function
using both Seamonkey version 2.49.3 & the latest version, 2.49.4. When trying
to type anything in the Google Search Box, it only uses the upper left corner of
the box, and when you get to 19 characters, the beginning of what was typed becomes
hidden if what you are trying to ask is longer than the 19 characters. If you copy
and paste something into the box, only the last 19 characters are visible.

On 9/11/18 I posted my problem on the Google Search Help Forum, found here:
https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/d/msgid/websearch/e4a0cbeb-a533-4b62-b714-fab0ef77e111%40googleproductforums.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

On 9/16/18 I replied to my own post with an answer to the problem I found by doing more
digging. It seems that unchecking the "Advertise Firefox compatibility" option
found in the Seamonkey preferences allows the search box to function as it should: The
original link to the answer can be found here:
https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/websearch/w6JUJvS5nMw/6QzWOLY_CQAJ

At first all seemed to function as it should until I realized that the actual search page looks different when the
"Advertise Firefox compatibility" option is unchecked compared to when it's checked. I also found that the
search settings cannot be changed when the "Advertise Firefox compatibility" option is unchecked. A much
greater issue I discovered was the fact that when searching for photos with the "Advertise Firefox
compatibility" option is unchecked, the results page not only shows a page of photos, it also includes a 4 to 5
line description under each of 20 photos returned from the search. I attempted to find an option to turn off the photo
descriptions, but the option doesn't exist. The only way to remove the photo descriptions is to re-check the
"Advertise Firefox compatibility" option. By re-checking the option none of the photos include a description
under them. Also the search settings functions now works as they should.

This is becoming very frustrating and a real pain in the butt... From what I've learned
the problem most likely is directly related to the Seamonkey User Agent, but I've been
unable figure out how to create a user agent string that functions correctly with Google
Search. With the "Advertise Firefox compatibility" option unchecked seamonkey
reports my user agent as: User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.4 When the option is checked, the user agent is: User
agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.4

Use a user agent string that advertises the browser as Chrome, or the built-in DuckDuckGo search.

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop