On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 10:13:05AM +0100, Maximilian Mehnert wrote:
> Am Mi, den 28.01.2004 schrieb Maximilian Mehnert um 15:28:
> > > Having 400MB of RAM used by the node's java processes seems out of whack.
> > > In fact that sounds insane. Which threadFactory is your configuration
> > > file set to use? If you set it to use the YThreadFactory, do things
> > > improve?
>
> Sorry. Being online for about 12 hours freenet again succeeded in
> overloading an "acceptable" machine (1.5GHz, 512MB Ram), leaving it
> doing nothing but swapping RAM.
>
> I think it's time to take a break. Perhaps I'll check back in a year ;-)
>
> I'm still of the opinion that freenet will only spread if people are
> able to run it on a small router or in background with no noticeable
> impact on performance.

Only _REAL_ geeks will do this. Freenet will spread if it can
unobtrusively run on a windoze PC, only needing to be turned off for
Quake III.

> If I had a second life I would help redoing the whole thing in ocaml or
> something like that. But I have the miserable feeling that studying
> medicine will keep me busy for the next years. :-( Ok, no more flame
> wars ;-)

:)

It is possible to compile java to native code, that may help CPU-wise.
Memory-wise, progress needs to be made, but the important thing at the
moment is to get rate limiting working properly.